To build and update a comprehensive picture of Uganda's civil society landscape, with a focus on the NGO sector, and to showcase the socio-economic and political value of NGOs to the country's development, in order to continuously articulate and influence policies and practices that contribute to the NGO sector's growth and nourishment.
The programme area strengthens previous work on the quest for an enabling operating context for NGOs in Uganda. Drawing inspiration and experiences at local, national and international levels, this programme area seeks to:
- Influence internal and external (including global) contextual dynamics to ensure a positive environment for NGOs to operate in the country;
- Collect and synthesise information and experiences of NGOs in their work in order to inform sustainable sector strategies in (1) above; and
- Document and showcase the social, economic and political value of the NGO sector to Uganda's development aspirations.
A conducive operating environment goes beyond the legal and regulatory framework as defined by the state, to include emerging lessons from the work of NGOs locally and internationally to inform NGOs operations. It also includes public support for NGO work, leading to greater public legitimacy; the fast changing policy making process and implications for advocacy; as well as the unequal power relations in the aid industry, the changing face of international aid, donor policies and practices. All these have a bearing on the activities of NGOs in Uganda.
Key programme outputs
- A comprehensive National NGO Directory for Uganda
- National Annual State of NGO Reports for Uganda
- Annual NGO operating environment trends reports
- Uganda NGO sector value studies
- NGO information, Education and Communication materials
- NGO Global & National strategic linkages
The NGO Observatory
Browse the NGO Observatory @ Uganda National NGO Forum
- NGO laws and policies
- NGO key note speeches, releases, comments and statements
- NGO photo and video Gallery
- NGO topical briefing papers and notes
- NGO Thematic Papers and reports
- NGO Studies
The Uganda NGO Observatory is a framework at Uganda National NGO Forum that provides an opportunity for NGOs to access vital information on the operating environment measured through regular check and follow-up on major dimensions that influence the health of the NGO sector in the country. These dimensions include: the Legal regime, the organizational capacity, financial viability, advocacy capacities, service provision initiatives, NGO infrastructure and NGO public image.
The Observatory also tracks changes in the dimensions above on operational impact and NGO sector health in the country at regular intervals. Within the observatory framework advocacy and lobby initiatives are generated to expand NGO spaces and harness opportunities for positive reinforcement of NGOs in order to reach out to all far and near communities served by NGOs at all levels.
The NGO Observatory is credited with an elaborate National NGO Directory; a one-stop resource from where answers to NGO queries are verified with credible reference using the most accurate volunteered information authenticated through a rigorous process including field visits and special due diligence mechanisms. For further information on the NGO Observatory send E-mail to: